Online courses can provide individualized attention and a depth of interaction from instructors and students not achievable in a large classroom environment. eLearning courses encourage contemplative and reflective learning opportunities. With eLearning, students have time to reflect before responding. The asynchronous communications can eliminate the barriers that inhibit some individuals from expressing themselves in face-to-face settings. Setting aside quiet space and time without interruptions, students concentrate and think about the readings before participating in the discussions.
- Uniform standards maintained
- Consistent content delivery
- Fewer errors, safer environment
- Students develop knowledge of the Internet and computers skills that will help them throughout their lives and careers
The online format reduces preconceived notions based on students age, gender, race, background, or level of experience. Through online discussion, students can receive and give valuable feedback to each other and learn from people with a broad array of backgrounds and experience with less judgment than might be found in a face-to-face situation.
- Flexibility to join discussions in the bulletin board threaded discussion areas at any hour, or visit with classmates and instructors remotely in chat rooms
- Instructors and students both report eLearning fosters more interaction among students and instructors than in large classrooms
- Fewer penalties from non-compliance
- Successfully completing online or eLearning courses builds self-knowledge and self-confidence
- Encourages students to take responsibility for their learning